So at the beginning of the week my website was looking a little like this:
And now it’s looking like this, is fully functional and responsive, and is informative.
Overall I’m pretty satisfied with the final product. I decided not to over clutter the pages with a logo, and instead just referenced the school in the menu bar. I used images of the school as header images, which I think are worth showing off as the school is quite pretty – it has a lot of garden and art, however I decreased the size from the theme as I didn’t want to put titles over top of the images. It didn’t look nice when I tried it, so I’ve got the information under the main images.
I had some differences with the footer, as I felt like the image above was over cluttering my page content, so last night I got frustrated and deleted it and have never looked back.
I’m a bit ambivalent about my home page – I couldn’t get it how I wanted and wasn’t really sure what I wanted. It’s better than the current site home page, but had I had more time I think I could have improved it, but I hit a wall creatively and am ready for a nap.
– And then, with 10 minutes until hand in was due, I edited my home page. Because logic. Now it looks like this and I am happier –
I have started to create my mock ups on the computer, although I’m not sure about it at the moment. Here is a home page for preview.
This week I have begun coding (finally). I also finally ran into the logo problem, which I was hoping to put off. I don’t intend on asking permission to use content from the school, and frankly don’t find the current logo(s) super appealing so don’t intend to use either. [Pictured below].
For the design I have chosen the image needs to be wide and short, rather than a circle, so I am going to redesign a logo based on the school’s title.
But, because I plan on making the header blue I am afraid this might clash. Because I don’t like the current logo, I didn’t try to edit it and instead decided to go in a different direction. I created this tree, as a symbol of growth and learning. I am going to use this as my favicon, and perhaps within my site – but I am afraid of it being over cluttered.
I have decided to use the red and dark blue out of this kular wheel I generated.
I will also be using this green on buttons, which is linked into the favicon. I think this is brighter and more fresh than the middle color above.
I have been brainstorming and sketching wireframes before I hit the computer and pump out a full mock up – resulting in the following ideas on paper.
I roughly put down my ideas for the consistent site design (the menu and footer that will be the same on everypage). Apologies for sketchy focus and seemingly terrible quality.
At this stage I’m definitely leaning towards footer number three – it displays all the information I would want in the footer and provides a secondary navigation, plus contact information.
I’m not a big fan of sidebar navigation as it is in mock up 4, but thought i would try it out. I don’t think i’ll go in this direction, though, and am leaning towards menu 2 or 3. The current logo is a circle but the current logo is also not very attractive. So i’m thinking I would make the title of the site the ‘logo’ as such by using mock up 3 because mock up 2 seems a little bit iffy to me, it could go either way (really pretty or really ugly).
I also threw together a page mock up for the location page, however decided to computer mock up my consistent site design before mocking up the rest of the content pages as I want it to complement the navigation – so need to first design the navigation.
Also I have discovered maroon is a very gross colour to put in a colour scheme.
But I think this one is the least puke worthy, with maroon and dark blue being the main colours cause they’re the school colours.
This week I decided to draw a diagram of possible pages I could include in my site, and I used that to decide which pages I would include on in my site – thankfully I had a large number to choose from and wasn’t struggling to find content.
As I mentioned in my WIP last week I have decided to redesign Marina View School’s website. Before beginning the design stage for the redesign I thought it would be valuable to analyse the current site (it can’t be all bad, right??).
When I looked at the website I wrote up the following notes that I can’t be bothered to type up.
I also drew up a site map for the current website to get an idea about what kind of information is on the site, although this didn’t really help because the titles are very indescriptive and there is a huge amount of content on the site which isn’t super necessary.
This week I also took some pictures of the school which I’m beginning to edit. Because it is currently the school holidays I was able to take pictures of the classrooms. Ideally there would be school children in them but I don’t really want to get into privacy laws surrounding this so I need to consider what I will do. I don’t want to use the current images either because they are low quality and not the greatest.
This week I have been thinking about what I will do for this assignment. The brief says the website should be for a prominent New Zealand organisation, however I don’t want to choose one that is too well known as I’m not keen on doing the same organisation as another student. I also don’t want to do an organisation who has a website that is already nice looking, or not too bad. I want to redesign a website that is initially gross and very unappealing. Thus I have decided to redesign Marina View School’s website (after confirming it was an okay organisation to do with Matt).
It is visually unappealing, the homepage doesn’t have any useful information on it, the pictures are not very good quality, the menu is undescriptive, and it’s not the slightest bit responsive. All in all it is a pretty bad website. Let the fun begin.