Work In (Lack Of) Progress: Week Four

Unfortunately no progress has been made this week on this assignment because I have been focused on writing an essay which has been slowly draining the life out of me.

Will Nicole find her assignment motivation again? Will she complete and hand in her essay and do some work on this assignment? Only time will tell.

 

 

Work In Progress: Week Three

I have completed the first mock up that I’m somewhat happy with. It’s simple, functional, and has all the requirements.

After trying to integrate arrows I have decided they are gross and I can’t seem to get them into my layout nicely so I don’t want them and have decided instead that the user can navigate the gallery by clicking the images below.
I have also placed the title and caption on top of the images with a small opacity on the background which I think looks nice. I am considering making the caption and background disappear so that the user can see the full image, but I don’t want it to be too confusing.

I haven’t inserted all my images because I made a rookie mistake and saved them on the wrong computer, but will be putting them when I have the edited images.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 4.14.11 pm

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 4.15.04 pm

I want the images to be semi-transparent when they are not selected, but then fully transparent when they are hovered over. The image displaying up the top is going to be full opacity. This makes the image that is selected recognisable within the gallery, but also adds a somewhat ‘snowy’ effect I think by making them hazy by lowering the opacity. I’m not sure about what opacity percent I want to use yet. The images below that are ‘unselected’ are at 65% opacity, but could still be unrecognisable.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 4.47.15 pm

 

I am still going to be looking at editing this slightly as I would like to have arrows, so I want to try and find a way to integrate them nicely. I want to get this finalised and onto html and css though so I can add javascript sooner rather than later.

Work In Progress: Week Two

This week I have chosen and edited my images. I applied roughly the same edits to them, to add a bit of grain and sharpness, and cool down the image.

For example, the image below on the left is one from Flickr that has a creative commons license, and on the right is my edit.

comparison.

– –

I have also decided to use the font PT Sans Caption Bold for the gallery title in forced capitals, because it follows the strong bold theme that other snow themed sites use.

mtsans

At this stage I am also thinking I will use the regular version of the same font for the other text (captions).

ptsans

I think it would look unified if this was also uppercase, however it may look too overpowering when it is put together.

– –

I have also done a few pencil sketch mock ups however am not sure about any of the mock ups, and did these before my latest research post so am going to try and develop them a bit more. I tried pushing elements around in photoshop for a more visual mock up, but I’m not satisfied with this either after doing my latest research post.

 

20140803_121757

20140803_121817 20140803_121900 20140803_121741

mockup

Work In Progress: Week One

This week I have looked at other image galleries for inspiration. I have decided to create an image gallery with photos I have taken from the snow so there is a theme and I can edit the images as I see fit. I want them to all be one consistent size but I haven’t thought about this any further. This week I want to aim to get started on my html coding, and editing my images down to size and making them look pretty. I did a basic javascript tutorial on codecademy but other than that haven’t made any attempt to learn javascript yet.